Australian Christian Lobby chief Jim Wallace's Anzac Day slur sparks outrage



I have known quite a few old diggers in my day and I am pretty sure what most of them would say if asked whether they fought so that homosexuality would be promoted as normal. The reply would be cutting, very cutting

THE head of the Australian Christian Lobby says outrage over a claim that Australian soldiers didn't fight for gay marriage is down to "misinterpretation".

Earlier today ACL managing director Jim Wallace said on Twitter: "Just hope that as we remember Servicemen and women today we remember the Australia they fought for — wasn't gay marriage and Islamic!" The comment sparked widespread condemnation from other Twitter users, who said Mr Wallace should be "ashamed".

This afternoon Mr Wallace apologised "unreservedly" for having made the comment on Anzac Day and said the comment had been misinterpreted. "There is no way I was trying to infer that our veterans didn't fight for all Australians. Of course they did," Mr Wallace told news.com.au. "I spent 32 years in the army myself, I'm imbued with that. "I'm the last person to (want to) demean Anzac Day or our veterans."

However Mr Wallace stood by his belief that the "nature" of the country that veterans had fought for was changing. "I was simply there with my father, a 96-year-old veteran of Tobruk and Milne Bay," Mr Wallace said. "And he was lamenting, as he had in the past, that he found it difficult to identify the Australia that he fought for. "I think that the nature of our society that our soldiers fought for was based on Judeo-Christian heritage."

Mr Wallace said he cited gay marriage and Islam as they were "two things that, in the future, are certainly going to define the nature of our society".

The ACL boss admitted his comment was ill-timed, but said he had not expected it to spark such widespread outrage. "It's the first time I've experienced that," he said of the potential for controversial comments to be shared quickly via Twitter. "I apologise for the fact that it was ill-timed. I had no intention and no thought that it would go into this."

Mr Wallace this afternoon deleted the original comment from his Twitter page.

SOURCE

2 comments:

  1. And yet when a fair-skinned professional aborigine slurs via Twitter, a respected aboriginal elder who just happens to be a conservative (and dark-skinned) the media outrage is decidedly muted. It's almost as if the Left closes ranks to protect their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,"almost" as if the left closes ranks to protect their own, but not quite. I know many veterans who have no problem with gays and lesbians having the same rights as the rest of us. They fought along side with them in the trenches, and some of them had their very lives saved by a gay man in combat. My grandfather's best friend when I was growing up was a man named Billy. They fought together in the war. Billy never married, and no one ever talked about his sexual orientation, but it was known by everyone that he was gay. I found out at Billy's funeral. He was a superb soldier and a wonderful human being.

    ReplyDelete

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them